These terms were last updated on May 5th, 2023.
We are a young company/project, with limited resources. These terms are a first pass aimed to lay down a basic agreement. However, at times the terms may appear to be overly restrictive or a mismatch for the project. Please bear with us as we improve and evolve our terms to better match our planned product and service offerings.
By using this website (the “Site”) and services (together with the Site, the “Services”) offered by Beep Technology, inc (together with its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, consultants, employees, officers, directors, and community contributors — (collectively, “Beep,” “the Small Android Phone Project”, “we,” or “us”), you’re agreeing to these legally binding rules (the “Terms”).
We may change these terms from time to time. You may find the latest policy on the Beep Site (the “Site”). If you keep using the Beep Site after a change, that means you accept this Policy.
Creating an Account
You can browse Beep without registering for an account. But to use some of Beep’s functions, you’ll need to register, choose a username, and set a password. When you do that, the information you give us has to be accurate and complete. Don’t impersonate anyone else or choose names that are offensive or that violate anyone’s rights. If you don’t follow these rules, we may cancel your account.
You’re responsible for all the activity on your account, and for keeping your password confidential. If you find out that someone used your account without your permission, you should report it to email@example.com.
To sign up for an account, you need to be at least 18 years old, or old enough to form a binding contract where you live. If necessary, we may ask you for proof of age.
Things that are not allowed
Rules are meant to be broken, but here’s a few things you shouldn’t do on the Site:
- Don’t break the law. Don’t take any action that infringes or violates other people’s rights, violates the law, or breaches any contract or legal duty you have toward anyone.
- Don’t lie to people. Don’t post information you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate. Don’t do anything deceptive or fraudulent.
- Don’t be an asshole. Don’t do anything threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, tortious, obscene, profane, or invasive of another person’s privacy.
- Don’t spam. Don’t distribute unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material, or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters. Don’t run mail lists, listservs, or any kind of auto-responder or spam on or through the Site.
- Don’t harm anyone’s computer. Don’t distribute software viruses, or anything else (code, films, programs) designed to interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or equipment on the Site (whether it belongs to Beep or another party).
- Don’t try to interfere with the proper workings of the Services.
- Don’t bypass any measures we’ve put in place to secure the Services.
- Don’t try to damage or get unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information, whether it belongs to Beep or another party.
- Don’t take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, or on our third-party providers. (We reserve the right to determine what’s reasonable.)
- Don’t use any kind of software or device (whether it’s manual or automated) to “crawl” or “spider” any part of the Site.
- Don’t take apart or reverse engineer any aspect of Beep in an effort to access things like source code, underlying ideas, or algorithms.
Stuff we are not responsible for
Beep isn’t liable for any damages or losses related to your use of the Services.
We don’t become involved in disputes between users, or between users and any third party relating to the use of the Services. We don’t oversee the performance or punctuality of projects, and we don’t endorse any content users submit to the Site. When you use the Services, you release Beep from claims, damages, and demands of every kind—known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed—arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Services. All content you access through the Services is at your own risk. You’re solely responsible for any resulting damage or loss to any party.
Beep may contain links to other websites. When you access third-party websites, you do so at your own risk. We don’t control or endorse those sites.
Beep partners with other companies (such as Stripe) for payment processing. When you back our project or make a purchase, you’re also agreeing to the payment processor’s terms of service.
Your Intellectual Property
Beep doesn’t own content you submit to us (your “Content”). But we do need certain licenses from you in order to perform our Services. When you upload content, write a comment, or contribute to the project agree to these terms:
- We can use the Content you’ve submitted. You grant to us, and others acting on our behalf, the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right to use, exercise, commercialize, and exploit the copyright, publicity, trademark, and database rights with respect to your Content.
- When we use the Content, we can make changes, like editing or translating it. You grant us the right to edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, delete, or translate any of your Content.
- You won’t submit stuff you don’t hold the copyright for (unless you have permission). Your Content will not contain third-party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material, or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material (and to grant Beep all the license rights outlined here).
- Any royalties or licensing on your Content are your responsibility. You will pay all royalties and other amounts owed to any person or entity based on your Content, or on Beep’s hosting of that Content.
- You promise that if we use your Content, we’re not violating anyone’s rights or copyrights. If Beep or its users exploit or make use of your submission in the ways contemplated in this agreement, you promise that this will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including (without limitation) any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- You’re responsible for the stuff you post. All information submitted to the Site, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person from whom that Content originated.
- We’re not responsible for mistakes in your Content. Beep will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content.
Our Intellectual Property
Beep’s Services are legally protected in various ways, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, and other rights and laws. You agree to respect all copyright and other legal notices, information, and restrictions contained in any content accessed through the Site. You also agree not to change, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of the Service.
Beep grants you a license to reproduce content from the Services for personal or community use only. This license covers both Beep’s own protected content and user-generated content on the Site. (This license is worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable.) If you want to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, or store any of this content for a commercial purpose, you need prior written permission from Beep or the relevant copyright holder. A “commercial purpose” means you intend to use, sell, license, rent, or otherwise exploit content for commercial use, in any way.
If you provide Beep with verbal feedback and/or written feedback related to your use of the Site(s) and/or the Beep products including, but not limited to, a report of any errors which you may discover in the Site(s) and/or the Beep products or related documentation or suggestions for improvements or changes to the Site(s) and/or the Beep products, you hereby grant Beep a perpetual, irrevocable right to use such feedback to develop and improve the Site(s) and/or any Beep product or service.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act lays out a system of legal requirements for dealing with allegations of copyright infringement. Beep complies with the DMCA, and we respond to notices of alleged infringement if they comply with the law and the requirements set forth in our Copyright Policy. We reserve the right to delete or disable content alleged to be infringing, and to terminate accounts for repeat infringers. (We do this when appropriate and at our sole discretion.)
If you’d like to submit a claim of copyright infringement, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deleting Your Account
You can terminate your account at any time by reaching out to our support team at email@example.com. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes. All provisions of this agreement survive termination of an account, including our rights regarding any content you’ve already submitted to the Site.
Beep reserves these rights:
- We can make changes to the Beep Site, Product offering, and Services without notice or liability.
- We have the right to decide who’s eligible to use Beep. We may in limited circumstances impose restrictions or limitations on accounts, or—for particularly significant or repeated violations of our Terms or any other rules on the Site —we may cancel accounts or decline to offer our Services. (Especially if you’re abusing them.) We can change our eligibility criteria at any time. If these things are prohibited by law where you live, then we revoke your right to use Beep in that jurisdiction.
- We have the right to cancel or remove your account for any reason, without notice. This includes, but is not limited to, reasons related to illicit or inappropriate content, the safety of a good or service, counterfeiting, fraud, malware, spam, data breaches, other cybersecurity risks, or the suitability of a good or service for minors.
- We have the right to cancel your backing for the project at any time and for any reason.
- We have the right to cause funds to be withheld to comply with laws and regulations.
Beep is not liable for any damages as a result of any of these actions.
You use our Services solely at your own risk. They are provided to you “as is” and “as available” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied.
BEEP SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR USAGE OF TRADE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION (ORAL OR WRITTEN) OBTAINED BY YOU FROM BEEP SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
If you do something that gets us sued, or break any of the promises you make in this agreement, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us harmless from all liabilities, claims, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other legal costs) that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of Beep. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to this indemnification clause, in which case you agree that you’ll cooperate and help us in asserting any defenses.
Limitation of Liability
To the fullest extent permitted by law, in no event will Beep, its directors, employees, partners, suppliers, or content providers be liable for any indirect, incidental, punitive, consequential, special, or exemplary damages of any kind, including but not limited to damages (i) resulting from your access to, use of, or inability to access or use the Services; (ii) for any lost profits, data loss, or cost of procurement or substitute goods or services; or (iii) for any conduct of content of any third party on the Site. In no event shall Beep’s liability for direct damages be in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred U.S. dollars ($100.00).
Local Laws; Export Control
Beep controls and operates the Site(s) from its headquarters in the United States of America and the Materials, Submissions and/or Third Party Content may not be appropriate or available for use in other locations. If you use the Site(s) outside the United States of America, you are responsible for following applicable local laws.
These Terms (and all other rules, policies, or guidelines incorporated by reference) will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California and the United States.
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
**Informal Efforts to Resolve Dispute. **If a dispute arises between you and Beep, you should first attempt to resolve it by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending the details of your complaint, including your contact information for a response, to the address listed below.
**Agreement to Arbitrate; Right to Opt Out. **If informal efforts to resolve claims or disputes (“Claims”) fail or are not used, you agree that any and all Claims will be resolved exclusively by binding arbitration as described herein, except that: (i) you may assert Claims in a small claims court in the United States if your Claims meet the court’s jurisdictional requirements; and (ii) either party may pursue Claims and relief in a court of competent jurisdiction regarding the validity and/or infringement of a party’s intellectual property rights.
Any arbitration under this Agreement must follow the law and terms of this Agreement as a court would. And, any arbitration under this Agreement will take place on an individual basis; class arbitrations and class actions and private attorney general actions are not permitted.
IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION, YOU MUST NOTIFY BEEP IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM THE DATE THAT YOU FIRST ACCEPT OR HAVE ACCESS TO THIS AGREEMENT BY MAILING AN OPT-OUT REQUEST TO OUR ADDRESS LISTED BELOW. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, THE EMAIL ADDRESS YOU USED TO REGISTER WITH BEEP, AND A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH US THROUGH ARBITRATION. YOUR DECISION TO OPT OUT OF THIS ARBITRATION PROVISION WILL HAVE NO ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH US OR THE DELIVERY OF PRODUCTS TO YOU BY US. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY NOTIFIED US OF YOUR DECISION TO OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO SO AGAIN.
Arbitration Fees . The allocation and payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the JAMS’s rules which limit the amount a consumer is required to pay. If the arbitrator determines that your Claims are not frivolous applying the standards of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, we agree to reimburse you the amount of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees you are required to pay for the arbitration.
Arbitration Rules . The arbitration will be conducted by the JAMS (“JAMS”) under its rules if you are a resident of the United States; if your use of the Products has been principally for personal or household use, the JAMS’ procedures for consumer-related disputes including the minimum fairness standards will also apply. If you are a resident of a country other than the United States, the arbitration will be conducted by the JAMS in Los Angeles, California, under its rules for international arbitration, and you and we agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the U.S. federal court in Los Angeles, California in order to compel arbitration, to stay proceedings pending arbitration, or to confirm, modify, vacate or enter judgment on the award entered by the arbitrator. In the event of a conflict or inconsistency between the applicable arbitration rules and this Arbitration Provision, this Arbitration Provision shall govern and control.
The arbitration will be conducted in the English language by a single arbitrator who is an attorney-at-law with at least fifteen years’ experience in consumer and technology transactions and who is also a member of the JAMS roster of arbitrators. If you and we can’t agree on a mutually acceptable arbitrator within fifteen (15) days after the arbitration is initiated, then the JAMS will pick a neutral arbitrator who meets the qualifications. The JAMS rules are available at http://www.jamsadr.com , or by calling 1- 800 – 352- 5267 from inside the United States or +44 207 583 9808 from outside the United States.
Initiating Arbitration . To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must follow the procedures specified by the applicable JAMS rules as described on their website at http://www.jamsadr.com.
**Time Restriction. **YOU MUST FILE A COMPLAINT WITH JAMS OR A PERMITTED COURT WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR OF THE DATE OF THE OCCURRENCE OF THE EVENT OR FACTS GIVING RISE TO A CLAIM, OR YOU WAIVE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE ANY CLAIM BASED UPON SUCH EVENT, FACTS OR DISPUTE.
Arbitration Process . Because appearing in person for arbitration can be unduly burdensome in the circumstances, arbitration under this Arbitration Provision shall not require any personal appearance by the parties or witnesses unless mutually agreed. Either or both parties may participate by written submissions, telephone calls, or other means of remote communication as allowed by the arbitrator. The arbitration proceedings will be conducted in the English language at a location designated by the JAMS that is the most convenient for you.
The arbitration can only decide Claim(s) between you and us, and may not consolidate or join the claims of other persons that may have similar claims. There shall be no pre-arbitration discovery except as provided for in the applicable JAMS rules. The arbitrator will honor claims of privilege recognized by law and will take reasonable steps to protect customer account information and other confidential or proprietary information.
In conducting the arbitration proceeding, the arbitrator will apply the law of the State of California (without regard to its conflicts of law provisions) including U.S. federal law for matters covered by federal law (_e.g. _the Federal Arbitration Act). The confidentiality provisions of this Agreement will be enforceable under the provisions of the California Uniform Trade Secrets Act, California Civil Code Section 3426, as amended. At the request of any party, the arbitrator shall provide a brief written explanation of the basis for the decision and award. Judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. The arbitrator’s decision will be final and binding on the parties except for any right to appeal under the JAMS rules or the Federal Arbitration Act.
Recovery and Attorneys’ Fees. If the arbitrator rules in your favor on the merits of any Claim you bring against us and issues you an award that is greater in monetary value than our last written settlement offer made to you before written submissions are made to the arbitrator, then we will (i) pay you 150% of your arbitration damages award, up to $1,000 over and above your damages award; and (ii) pay your attorneys, if any, the amount of attorneys’ fees, and reimburse any expenses (including expert witness fees and costs) that you or your attorney reasonably incurred for investigating, preparing, and pursuing your Claim in arbitration. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of such fees, expenses, and the alternative payment and the attorney premium at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits. The right to attorneys’ fees and expenses discussed above supplements any right to attorneys’ fees and expenses you may have under applicable law, although you may not recover duplicative awards of attorneys’ fees or costs. If your use of the Products was principally for personal or household use, neither party will be entitled to any award of punitive or special damages and Beep waives any right it may have to seek an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses from you in connection with any arbitration of Claims between us.
**Confidentiality. **You and we shall keep confidential any information exchanged during the arbitration as well as the decision of the arbitrator made with respect to any Claim(s) arbitrated under this Arbitration Provision and, with the exception of disclosure to your or our attorneys, accountants, auditors, and other legal or financial advisors, neither party shall disclose such information or decision to any other person unless required to do so by law.
**Continuing Obligation to Arbitrate; Severability. **This Arbitration Provision shall survive termination of your access to or use of any Products and related agreements. If any portion of this Arbitration Provision is deemed invalid or unenforceable at law, such invalid or unenforceable provision will be interpreted, construed or reformed to the extent required to make it valid and enforceable, and this shall not invalidate the remaining portions of this Arbitration Provision.
Beep Contact Information
Beep Technology Inc. ATTN: LEGAL/ARBITRATION 440 N Barranca Ave #3240 Covina, CA 91723
These Terms and the other material referenced in them are the entire agreement between you and Beep with respect to the Services. They supersede all other communications and proposals (whether oral, written, or electronic) between you and Beep with respect to the Services and govern our future relationship. If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid under the law, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms otherwise will remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either you or Beep to exercise any right provided for in these Terms in any way won’t be deemed a waiver of any other rights.
These Terms are personal to you. You can’t assign them, transfer them, or sublicense them unless you get Beep’s prior written consent. Beep has the right to assign, transfer, or delegate any of its rights and obligations under these Terms without your consent. Beep will provide you notice via email, written notice, or by posting the notice on our Site.